My Blog List

Sunday, February 14, 2010

About Movies

As a movie fan, I do not like to breakdown movies, or try to determine what the writer or director was targeting. I do like movies with morals and meaning. In my opinion, some movies do have hidden messages but its not to the extent that they want you to go home and write an essay about it. The glits and glam do not appeal to me, it is the message that gets me. Just because a movie costs millions to make does not make it a hit.

Hooks words on Waiting To Exhale were shocking to me. Waiting To Exhale was a movie about 4 woman struggling mentally with relationships, love and men. They were financially stable. Their struggles were real. Most woman who are single want a loving relationship whether they admit it or not. Now I did not agree with the way that these woman were seeking their men but again, this is what I see as a woman on a daily basis. I do not believe that this movie is culturally dangerous. We need to stop and acknowledge that what 4 woman do in a movie in regards to men, sex, drinking and smoking should not be considered an influence or representation of our culture.

Another point was on Native Americans. The movies always have them saying nothing or close to nothing. In the movie One who flew over the cuckoo's nest, the Indian barely said 2 words. He was very capable of defending himself and the others. What does that say about how Americans feel about Native Americans. Do we believe that they don't deserve to be heard? I really cannot think of any other modern movies with Native Americans in them but you never see the Indian as the superhero or the doctor, or family man.

No comments:

Post a Comment